Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quest for Crackers

My latest fascination in baking is to make a great cracker.  Not just any cracker, but the cracker.  Once that is gluten free, not too hard or soft, doesn't break under the pressure of spreading cheese, tastes great, pairs nicely with chevre and other cheese, and it also has to keep well.  There are many crackers on the market that come close, but they all have their shortcomings.  Some are too thick, others too much flavor detracting excessively from the cheese they are paired with, some break to easily, others just taste like cardboard.  So since I couldn't find a cracker I was completely satisfied with I thought, heck, I can make crackers.  Why not?

The first recipe was an almond cracker.  It was easy to make, containing only almond flour, egg white, extra-virgin olive oil, and salt.  The recipe suggested adding touches to your own liking, such as poppy seeds, cracked pepper, etc.  This cracker was actually pretty good.  Fast and easy to make they baked in only 12 minutes, and once cooled were crisp (but not too crisp) and flavorful and paired well with the plain chevre I tested them out with.  But not quite satisfied with the texture once chewed.  My cracker quest continued.

The second recipe was from another blog.  Daring to Thrive is a blog that contains (among other things I'm sure) information on living gluten free.  Since I can't eat wheat, and I know many others who enjoy our cheese also can't eat wheat, it's important to me to keep our crackers gluten free.  This cracker was great.  I made a few modifications which made the cracker more my own :) but all in all a great recipe.  Could this be the cracker I've been looking for?  We'll try this one out at our next farmer's market and see.  Come visit us at the St. Johnsbury farmers market, Willow Moon Farm - Farmstead Goat Cheese, and taste it for yourself!

No comments: