Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Turkey Day Cometh

While I love the concept of raising my own meat I admit I do have some difficulty with the act of bringing it from pen to freezer. So through a complicated set of misfortunes, although I guess misfortune depends upon whether you are the turkey or me at this point, our turkeys are still not ready for Thanksgiving and continue to walk around and consume grain with only 2 days left before the big event. Fortunately for us their day is fast approaching and soon the turkey count will be down 5 in the pen and up 4 in the freezer (one will go straight to the table).

This is the first time we've ever raised our own turkeys. They are quite large and while catching the chickens we raised for meat this summer was pretty easy, I can't imagine how we're going to pull off picking these big boys up. I practically got a black eye from one of them about a month ago when he hit me in the face with one of his wings. The adventure continues...

No comments: